Thursday, 31 December 2009

Seasonal Beach Bunny...

My last “festive” card of the year – I promise! Here in South Africa our Christmas is a warm one and so scenes of snow and snow bunnies are not really topical, but always welcome!

However, I felt that even though there isn’t any snow here, we should at least have some kind of “bunny” – so please meet my Christmas Beach Bunny!



The card starts out in life as a gatefold card – A4 sized Curious Metals White CS trimmed to 15x15cm then scored to create the gates. The front panels were embossed with ProvoCraft’s Swiss Dots embossing folder. The wording is the Seasons Greetings embossing folder. I used the wax paper resist technique to colour the words and I used a snowflake brad to act as my lock mechanism, along with my ribbon. A blank piece of CS is adhered to the back of the words to hide the reversed embossing and the brad legs. Words are then edged with a silver marker.



Opening the card reveals the contents – a hidden Beach Bunny! The stamp is #I1655 from Great Impressions (George, South Africa), stamped onto plain white CS and coloured using chalks, pastels, Jelly Roll pens and Stickles. The Beach Bunny is layered onto Teal Elephant Hide handmade paper. The background is created using the wax paper resist technique (once again) and the Divine Swirls embossing folder. I punched two holes in the right hand panel to allow the ribbon to pass through to the front of the card – the locking mechanism to hold the card closed. I covered the embossed right (& left) panel with more Curious Metals White CS, and edged with XXX Teal ink, hiding the ribbon and reverse side of the embossing. Now I have a nifty place to leave my message of good wishes.

Opening the card up completely we see the full glory of my Christmas Beach Bunny!



Here’s another Christmas Beach Bunny card, on a more conventional card shape.



TFL!

6 comments:

thefrugalcrafter said...

I love your colors! Funny, I'm taking the kids swimming today (indoor of corse) and it is 14 degrees! Oh how I would love to be on a warm sunny beach! We are expecting 2 feet of snow tomorrow! Stay warm dear,
Lindsay

Sharon Caillier said...

Beautiful card. I just got back from Atlanta visiting my daughter and her family for the holidays. I'm so tired but I really enjoyed my grandbaby. I have been working on a mini book (my first one) and have not done any cardmaking lately. Christmas wore me out.
Keep up the good work and I hope to get back into the loop soon. Happy New Year,
Sharon
Carencro, LA

Cindy said...

Helen - what a FUN card. I love it. And can relate to the beach at Christmas. While not nearly as warm as you during this season, we do NOT get anywhere near as cold as most. My sister (in Missouri) and I (California), play a game all year calling each other and saying "so, what's your temperature today". We usually have a couple of beach days around the holiday and she's usually stuck in the snow. Wish you a Happy New Year!

Hetty said...

Helen, what great cards. May this year be a very inspirational 2010.

Shannon - Desert Designs said...

Fabulous card Helen! Love the coloring and all of the textures - you incorporate so many ideas into each card - well done!

Cheryl said...

Love it - especially the gate fold card.

*Big Sigh* I have to admit I am jealous of your weather right now. It is pretty cold here in Wisconsin.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails