Monday, 1 February 2010

Something from the past...

Being a stamper and cardmaker I'm one of those folks who HOARD - although I don't do it as well as some out there ... and there are some cards I've made in my journey of learning and loving my hobby, that are good, and some that are bad (well let's be honest - UGLY). The hoarding comes in because I photograph everything I make, whether I like it or not. I use the "hoards" as a springboard for improvement, change, repeat grand performances, as well as the "omg don't ever do that again" sentiment...

There are not too many of those "early" endeavours that I'm happy to display, but here's one I consider to be one of the "good" ones!



This was a birthday card for my friend Ros, which I made in 2005. I recall thinking at the time how clever I was to use a small saucer to cut the rounded section of the arch (waaaay before I had cool gadgets and tools to play with), and then finished it off with my Fiskars decorative scissors.

It is a gatefold card, using A4 White Linen CS. Stamps are Great Impressions (South Africa), Paperchain (South Africa) and Hero Arts. I folded and cut the card, stamped and embossed some of the images, then brayered the CS with my Big 'n Juicy Pastels inkpad. After brayering I stamped some more images using Brilliance Silver ink.

The Mandala stamp (Great Impressions South Africa) is such a fun and versatile stamp to use. Here it is embossed with black embossing powder, onto purple cs, and then I used bleach to remove some of the pigment from the paper. The bleached section is painted with ArtQuest Stargazers palette and sections highlighted with Stickles. A silver star brad was used to attach the mandala to the centre of the card.

The card was held closed by a lush ribbon in co-ordinating colour. (not shown in pic)



TFL!

4 comments:

Cherry47 said...

Beautiful card Helen. You have given me a great idea. I do have some cards I made before I started my blog. I'll have to go and find them. Usually when I make a card, I take a picture of it and mail it off to a friend or family. Take care,
Hugs,
Sharon

Carol's Crafts said...

Beautiful card, Helen. It's so colorful, and I love that Mandala stamp.

Ikki said...

Hi, love the colours and shape you have used. neat idea!

On my pop-up card - the shapes fit together no prob. Centre fold all three - then glue two the the back of the front shape. Thanks for visiting and taking the time to comment. Hope you will have a go. ikki

Jessica said...

Wow!!! This is an oldie but a goodie!! I think this is a fantastic design.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails