Friday, 25 June 2010

Lighthouses...

I - like many others - really love lighthouses. They can be pretty, tall, squat, funkily painted, white, red, round, square - the licorice-allsorts of buildings I guess!

A few years ago I learnt about the timing of the lighthouse's glowing beam of brilliance: each lighthouse has a different rate at which the beam is shown, which gives sailors another means to know where they are. Pretty cool I thought. Now I count the seconds between beams every time I see a lighthouse!

Here's a small homage to lighthouses...



CS is Curious Metals White, embossed with my Big Shot and Divine Swirls embossing folder. The image is stamped with Versafine Black Onyx ink and heat embossed with black embossing powder. I went the "traditional" route for my lighthouse - and used Jelly Roll pens for colouring. Diamond and blue Distress Stickles are used on the sea spray and Diamond Stickles highlight the glass and beams.

The mats are distressed using the Tim Holtz Distress Tool, and edged with Denim Distress ink. The sea horse and starfish are a sea themed die from Provocraft, and they have also been Stickled.

Suppliers & Links:
Simply Creative
Versafine inkpad, Stickles, Hero Arts & Great Impressions stamps
Scrapbook Factory Shop
Distress tool, Distress inkpad, Distress Stickles, embossing folder, ProvoCraft Die
Kanje Crafts
Embossing powders, VersColor inkpad

TFL!

6 comments:

Penny Duncan Creations said...

What a pretty pretty Lighthouse....looks very inviting!!!

Charlotte said...

Helen,
What a pretty card! I really like how the stamped swirls mimic the embossed swirls. And the sparkle on the glass is a nice finishing touch. Well done!
Charlotte
www.theartofquilling.com

Casmiles said...

Helen, this is beautiful. I have to echo Charlotte, I love the way the embossed swirls, echo the stamped swirls in the image. I think I'm going to have to dig out my lighthouse stamp (I know I have one, maybe two). This is definitely going to be a stamping weekend - before the lighthouses though, I've got to get Independence Day cards done. Thanks for the motivation~!

LadyTrucker said...

Very nice card! Your use of stickles brings it to life!

Kim said...

I'm not usually a fan of lighthouses or sea themes but this is really lovely. Well done !
Kim
cosmicfate@gmail.com

chilli pip said...

I am a fan of lighthouses as I find them so striking.
I have a lighthouse embellishment that I am saving for a pecial card.
This is very understated I like it lots. x

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails