Monday, 28 September 2009

Flip Flop Baby Album

After making this album I was very proud, and then I had a bit of a scary thought... that I had just made my FIRST scrapbook album! Knowing of my current addictions in the craft world I don't need another one! And besides YG would have true conniptions if I decided to head the scrapping route : )





I first saw this idea on SHANNON's Blog a few months ago and immediately bookmarked it so I could make it for a girlfriend whose baby is due fairly soon.

The album started out life as some flip flops for a little boy, some pieces of scrapbook paper, hard cardstock for the concertina album and some cuttlebug folders and dies.



We had to cut off part of the sole as they were really *thick*. YG tried sanding them on his electric sander and 10 minutes later they were slightly 'scuffed'. So, always the king of lateral thinking, he took out the electronic meat/bread slicer and just sliced 'em off! (Sadly I didn't take a pic of the "left-overs" before throwing them away...) 

I had a fine old time trying to get the concertina'd cardstock right - I kept creating a template and then ending up with two separate sections when I cut. Luckily (as mentioned earlier), the lateral thinking king was still in residence so he came to my rescue once again and finally we had the start of our album.

Now for the fun part - decorating!




On this page I've used one of the TIM HOLTZ Adage Tickets and distressed and crumpled it for the aged look. At the bottom of the image is a Sizzix Photo Mount die, which I ran through my Big Shot using the Spots 'n Dots embossing folder. It is edged with Versamark Baby Blue ink and lightly blinged with Diamond Stickles.

Every album needs a space for journalling - or so I have observerd. A brass word charm is used to convey the sentiment.  The page is stamped with Flourishes by HERO ARTS



As you'll have guessed by now, the album is for a boy - temporarily called Paddy while his parents decide on the right name for their soon-to-be little treasure. The stamps used on this page are Hero Arts stamped with Versamark Umber ink and embossed with Clear Sparkle embossing powder. I layered two ribbons to give the two-tone effect.




And then the final page... I have used chocolate brown card stock to create a photo mount, and embellished the page with a beautiful button, and some scrapping floss.



I was really happy with the final result that I had created, along with some lovely photography by YG to show it off for all to enjoy.



TFL!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Stunning Helen! You are one talented lady. Hugs Lindy x

Rev said...

How cute is that! And to think that you did not want to get started - so glad to see that the bitten bug has grown! What a lovely present, I am sure, they will love it!

Shallale said...

You did a wonderful job. I love altered art and indeed your work is beautiful. I would have love to receive such gift.
Thumbs up!

Debbie L said...

I was the lucky recipient of the stunning gift. It is now proudly displayed in Oliver's room and I can't wait to write in the journal section - Thanks Helen!!