Sunday, 10 January 2010

Cuttlebug Colour embossing...

This started out as a little project to show YG some colours embossed into the Cuttlebug Cut & Emboss sets, and ended up in a bit of a tutorial and a rather lovely card - yes, we know I lost the modesty button a while ago...

Once the card idea was born I knew what I wanted the layout to be, and the colours, and proceeded with the preparation (and pics). As is my wont, I took it to him for a look-see before the final stick down... And as soooooo often happens, he says he'd prefer another colour for the background and the layout to be just so, and the edges to be something else entirely... (Not sure why do I this to myself time after time.)

So it was back to the drawing/cutting board... And here are the results.

I die cut 3 butterflies with my BIG SHOT and Cuttlebug Cut & Emboss set from the Scrapbook Factory Shop. See the nifty use of scrap paper - making it fit just so?



Then, using VersaColor Lime Ink I carefully applied ink to the embossing side of my folder (that's the part that has the bits that stick up).



Then I *carefully* placed my die cut butterfly on the un-inked side of the embossing folder (so as not to smudge ink onto the CS) and closed it, making sure all flappy bits were where they should be.



Ran it through my BIG SHOT, 3 times...



And these were the results.



I lightly applied Distress Ink to the edges of the butterflies...



...but YG said he wanted more!



So he got more... And this was the final result - a very lovely Condolence card.



And, as I had another butterfly around, and off-cuts of the DP, I made another card, same style, just a slight variation. YG feels that the ribbon on this card "anchors" the butterfly to the page, where the previous card makes it seem as though the butterfly could just flit off the page at any time.



I also added some distress stickles to this butterfly, to add some contrasting light to the butterfly's inner body.



TFL!

17 comments:

SudsMuffin said...

It's beautiful! It gives it a letterpress feel. Very nice.
~Mrs SudsMuffin

Michelle Jamieson said...

Wow...that's a great effect.
Love those butterflies. I might have to hunt that one down.

Thanks for sharing! :)

Chelle Xx

Ronita Glanville said...

Hi H, LOVE this card! Love the tutorial too, way to go! X

Cherry47 said...

This is truly beautiful. I'm going to have to try it. Don't be shocked if you see this again.
Sharon
Carencro LA USA

Cheryl said...

These butterflies are fantastic.

Jessica said...

Beautiful Butterflies!!! Lovely. OK, I have a challenge, why don't you and YG both do the same card, in your own way. I'd like to see the difference... anybody else want to see? You make a great team! TFS

Shelly Schmidt said...

Beautiful idea! Lovely card. TFS

Shannon - Desert Designs said...

Stunning Helen! Did you stamp the swirl background on the card or is that DP?

Chookarooni said...

I ask my DH for critique of my cards - he is always honest - our only difference - I like plain and simple - he goes for a bit more fussy - interesting isn't it?
love this card and tutorial - have inked big embossing folders but never a smaller one - thats for the inspiration!

Carole M. said...

yes it's a great result; beautiful card. Love the inked butterfly and I agree the ribbons/stripes at the bottom balance the card so nicely too. Lovely Helen.

Muggy2 said...

Your cards are absolutely beautiful! Now I want to try a butterfly! Can you tell me if you stamped the background or is it beautiful paper. If paper - what brand?

Tilly said...

Gorgeous card Helen, and thanks for the instructions too.

Micki said...

Wow, I'm gonna have to try that. Beautiful....so elegant. All the cards :-)

Dale said...

Lovely Helen, thanks for sharing.

pezadoodle said...

this is simply stunning! one of my fave techniques!

Christine Ruff said...

oh this is gorgous, havent seen that cb folder before but im surely going to search for it

Diana said...

I like what you did with this butterfly - now I'm going to have to find the die for that butterfly. TFS