Sunday, 7 March 2010

An Exploding Box...

I needed to make a Wedding-themed red and pink exploding box this week, and this is how it came together...

The closed version. The lid is decorated with wonderful Petaloo flowers, ribbons, brads, DP and VersaColor ink. It is made of White Bazzill which has been edged with VersaColor Ash Rose ink. I layered the narrow pink ribbon onto the broader red ribbon to carry through the wedding colours. The four sides of the box are decorated with lovely DP, also edged with VersaColor Ash Rose ink.



The pink Bazzill CS layer is the first of the two layers of the box. The red sections have been run through my Sizzix BIG SHOT using the Divine Swirls and Heart Blocks embossing folders. One is edged and coloured with Silver VersaColor ink and the other with Pink Petal VersaColor ink. They each have ribbons, bijoux and ProvoCraft Cut & Emboss Hearts. The white sections have been stamped with Hero Arts Hand Drawn Captions, and only half of the CS is embossed with my BIG SHOT and ProvoCraft Floral Fantasy & Daisy embossing folders. Ribbons are used to edge the embossed section, with a string of tiny bijoux on the red ribbon.



The centre post is decorated with DP, edged with VersaColor Ash Rose and stamped with JT6 bridal couple (I'll have to find out the "proper" name of the company), using VersaFine Black Onyx ink. Parts of the couple are highlighted with Diamond Stickles. Some Fiskars flowers and bijoux complete this layer.

The red layer is also Bazzill CS. I left one pink panel clear of embossing and stamping, for a personal message to be written to the bride and groom. The white panels are stamped with Hero Arts Love Letters and Paper Inspirations Celebrate Calligraphy stamps. I stamped the LOVE letters before running the panel through the Swiss Dots embossing folder, and then highlighted the letters with Diamond Stickles.



The other panels have been embossed with Divine Swirls and Script embossing folders, and edged with Pink Petals VersaColor ink (on the white) and Ash Rose VersaColor ink on the pink panel. I also dragged the ink pads across the embossed sections to highlight them. I used the ProvoCraft Heart Die set to cut out the red and white hearts for decoration. Ribbons, bijoux and flower rhinestones finish off this layer.

And although I usually photograph everything quite efficiently, this time I forgot to take a pic of the assembled, open box... Next time...

Suppliers & Links:
Scrapbook Factory Shop
Bazzill CS, Petaloo flowers, Embossing folders & die sets
Lolly's Arts & Crafts in Milnerton
Ribbons, Diamond Stickles, Bridal stamp, Pink Petal VersaColour inkpad
Simply Creative
DP, Fiskars flowers, bijoux, embossing folders, Hero Arts stamps
Kanje Crafts
Paper Inspirations stamp

Time to swim now... We're back up around 100F...

TFL!

14 comments:

Meg said...

I really love this box. I need to try one of these myself. Personally, I really like the colors! Great job!

Carol's Crafts said...

Beautiful box, Helen. I love it.

Tiffany said...

I love this box!! I have GOT to make one of these!!!! Thanks for sharing !!

Jessica said...

Wow, I love these boxes. I've never made them, but as soon as the opportunity arises for a more elaborate 'card' This is what I'll do.
As to answering other bloggers messages: I think it would be nice to answer each one, however, it's a bit hard these days. Especially if there are LOTS of people leaving messages. I think if anyone asks a question, they should get an answer of some sort. Whether it's on you blog or on theirs, or send them a private message. Other than that, I don't think most people expect a response. At least that's how I feel. Maybe a generic response in your next post... Well I don't know, that's my opinion anyway.
I like to comment because it makes me feel good when someone praises my work, so I figure it's the same for others. Hope that helps. Jess

Sue from Oregon said...

So pretty!

Lee Ann said...

Helen, your box is just beautiful! I really like the colors too.

Ret said...

Hi Helen, what a beautiful box! I'm sure they will love it & I really like the colors together. You are so crafty! Thanks for sharing with us!
Ret

Clara said...

Helen, I've never made one of these before, this is really nice!

Carol Johnston said...

what a wonderful exploding box you have made Helen. The colours look great together.
I too haven't done one of these before but my Tuesday tutor at the card classes I go to is going to get us to make these at some stage.
Hugs Carol J New Zealand

Cheryl said...

Wow - Helen, this is wonderful. Great job!

Cheri said...

Wow! That is absolutly beautiful! Very inspiring. I'll have to try one one of these days.

Samantha MARIE said...

Prettu, I like the colors I should try to do one of this

Cindy said...

Beautiful Helen. Another push I'm grateful for. Have seen it before, but not made one. I'm trying to make a point of making at least one of something that I see and like, so I've got it as a reminder to do again (and again..) Thanks!

chilli pip said...

Lovely clours and design.
As far as blog etiquette goes I struggle sometimes to post comments so I dont thank others for leaving ... but i am grateful when they do