Tuesday, 2 March 2010

Martha Stewart in Cape Town...

Well gosh - I enjoyed myself! It wasn't so much the "breakfast with..." as it was a buffet breakfast with a presentation by MARTHA STEWART afterwards.



We went off bright and early to the CTICC, collected our tickets and grazed at the breakfast buffet. Then, into the auditorium for the presentation, which I thought was well done. However I, and a few others, seem to be alone in that regard. The South Africa public, and business CEO's were not as enthralled with her presentation as they might have been, if, apparently, she hadn't gone on about her Glitter range.

Personally I can't understand the shortsightedness of these CEO's. Here is someone who has taken an existing item and re-invented it - parlaying it to an industry that netts billions each year. I thought that the fact that there is so much money to be made from something as small and as (almost) inconsequential as Glitter would be an idea to be worked on and from, not scathingly rejected outright.

Martha Stewart was here as the guest of the Design Indaba - an event that highlights innovation and creation - just what she, and her company have done, with the Glitter range.

The rest of the presentation was great to see - the diversifiation of her interests and media is incredible. Something we can all learn from to grow our business, whether craft related or not.

After the presentation YG was snapping away to get pics for me, and here we have the two of us "deep" in conversation - well, not really deeply, just commenting on the glitter and the fact that I was covered in it... I love using body glitter to sparkle...



And here we are smiling together for the camera, with Ms Stewart holding the card I had made for her.



The bane of my life are ENVELOPES! I always run out of them for some obscure reason. My original plan to give her a small gift pack of cards I had made went downhill after I discovered that I didn't have the envelopes to match. So, a card it was.



Work is calling so I shall add the details of the card a bit later.

TFL!

8 comments:

Cheryl said...

Wow - that seems like it was really fun and interesting.

Karin said...

Wow, what a great memory to have! Great that you could actually meet her, and to give a card as well!

WendyP said...

what a fantastic time you had !! and your card is gorgeous !!

stampernancy said...

I always enjoy your blog - thanks for all your sharing. Your card for Martha was lovely - so nice of your to do that! Nancy

Chinajo said...

Nice pic you will always have for memories. Thank you for sharing with us all. I am in NYC and went on Martha's show for a scrapbooking episode. Everyone in the audience received a bag of goodies. I got a Martha Stewart crafting knife and a 12X12 White photo Album I am saving for my wedding pictures.

thefrugalcrafter said...

that is pretty flippin cool if you ask me! WTG!

Crafts Fair by Lynne Madgin said...

Hi Helen, sounds like a fabulous occasion, and not something for CEO type people. Fascinating stuff!
Well done and lucky you. Lynne Madgin

Rose-Anne said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving a lovely comment.