Friday, 11 June 2010

The world has come to South Africa...



The Soccer World Cup starts today, here in South Africa, and the nation has been partying since Wednesday in the lead up to the kick off.

South Africans around the country went out at midday on Wednesday to show their support for our national team - Bafana Bafana - and blew their Vuvuzela's and danced and sang in the streets. Even for someone not interested in the soccer, it was a moving experience to see the nation come together as one.

Here are some pics to get you in the mood...

Google always gets in on the act - so clever!



The Cape Town Stadium - just down the road from where I live...



All of the stadia hosting World Cup games in 2010...



South Africa is called the Rainbow Nation - check out the actual rainbox in this pic of the staff of the Community Chest showing their "Gees"...



Welcome to our world!

TFL!

4 comments:

C@ro said...

In Holland we're really excited about this event!
I'll take some pics of the streets here later on and show them to you.
All Holland will be ORANGE as long as they are in the competition. Hopefully they'll reach the finals.
Almost everyone is glued to the TV!


Hugs,
Caro

Rosalie said...

Hi Helen

I am a South African living in the UK on contract and seeing your photographs has made me very heart sore. I would so love to be at home now. I remember the rugby world cup when SA won, Oh what a party we all had. Enjoy every minute as we do this side of the world. Geluk!!!!!!

Wanda in US said...

Oh girl, thanks for sharing pictures - I love seeing them. Hope you do not get stuck too much to that TV though. LOL I was that way with Princess Di passed away - and I was glued for a week to that TV, when I was able to be home and not at the office.

Eileen said...

Following the footie all the time ...thanks for the super pictures ...a real flavour of everything going on. xx