It's been a while since I was here, and I hope you're all still well and having fun with your creative spirits!
In early December 2010 we had our end-of-year card class, bringing to a close another year of card classes at HRH Amanda - and what fun they all were! Creating cards and gabbing with the "gals", and of course, making our end of year present for the name we chose out of the hat...
I picked HRH Amanda - and that's always a toughie. She has such style and flair and it's a good exercise in out-of-the-box creative thinking to come up with a HANDMADE gift. I had help in the form of the great tutorial on Laura Carson's Artfully Musing blog.
I think I did OK...
I had found an old, dinky French/English dictionary at the market in November, and although I wasn't planning to use the pages for crafting purposes, it just seemed to be the right thing to use.
The canvases are 5x7" (13x18cm) and the pages were modged onto the canvases, inked with Distress Inks, embellished and finally, presented to HRH.
Here are a few of the steps...
Pages modged onto the canvas...
The edges are inked with Victorian Velvet Distress Ink...
A bit of a jump to the next pic where the front of the canvas has been embellished with Hero Arts flowers, grungeboard letters decorated with Crackle Paint, and pearl strips. Waiting for the paint to dry is very difficult. My fingers were itching to continue, so I prepared the inside photograph while I waited.
Here's a close up of the letters, showing the cracks which were then distressed and inked with Victorian Velvet Distress Ink to fill in those cracks.
I always have the same argument/debate with YG about when to stop, but I really felt that the completed object needed something extra, so I used these wonderful strips of tethered flat pearls to embellish the upper and sides of the canvases.
The inside view... The glamorous gal on the right is HRH herself, and the left panel is covered with card stock and some lovely DP.
The canvases are hinged together with lovely little brass hinges...
TIP: Mark your holes for your hinge screws AFTER you've glued/inserted the inner sections. I found the holes were off by about 2mm because I marked before putting the pics inside...
And finally, another look at the front cover...
I had so much fun making this canvas project that I've stocked up on my canvas supply so I see a few more of these in my future.
Suppliers & Links:
Stamps, dimensional glaze
Scrapbook Factory Shop
Distress inks, pearls, DP
Canvases, Modge Podge